Friday 18 November 2011

Red Hot Chili Peppers

... with support from Fools Gold.



Good choice of support act for RHCP (at least better than "Chicks On Crack" back in 2006 during the Stadium Arcadium tour), bringing to the stage a selection of instruments that I've not seen since back in primary school! Very chilled, but also energetic music keeping the 90's sound of REM alive. A good listen for a Sunday afternoon no doubt.

Ok, on to the main event.


I wasn't mega-hyped in the run up to this gig, maybe because I wasn't really impressed with the new album (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy listening to it), but man had I forgot the energy and vibe you get at a Chili's gig.

The set list was amazing. A mix of songs spanning right back to Me And My Friends from 1987's The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, right up to the opening song from the latest album, Monarchy Of Roses, and of course, all the classics in between (Otherside, Give It A Away, Can't Stop and Californication)

Once again, an impressive stage design. Crazy lighting, guys hanging from support beams with spot lights and screens with the ability to split into super-sized strip screens which were used to great effect to add depth to the performance.


Otherside and Californication were highlights of the stage design, creating the stand out moments in the set for me. What was showing on the screens was not exactly related to the songs, but the design of the visuals was amazing.




Only thing I didn't enjoy was, unfortunately, Josh's backing vocals. He's managed to step up well to John's position and the on-stage chemistry with the rest of the band is defiantly there. The same jams with Flea and Chad are still there, which staged the finale of the set, but I just don't like Josh's vocal style compared to John's.

Rest of my good pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment